Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
When we were stationed in the Philippines a friend added water chestnuts to the green bean casserole and I have added them ever since. I have changed the recipe even more to make it "More Diet Friendly" - with no canned Cream of Mushroom Soup - if it seems a little dry - add a little water to make "gravy".
- 2 cups green beans
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 8 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (5 ounce) can water chestnuts, sliced, drained
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- butter-flavored cooking spray, such as Pam
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- Spray casserole with Butter Spray.
- Place Whole Green Beans in bowl and microwave for 4 minutes on high.
- In heavy skillet, brown sliced scallions and remove from skillet and toss with flour.
- Spray Skillet again with butter spray and pan fry shallots till crisp. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, brown the sliced mushrooms in butter spray.
- Remove Green Beans from microwave, they should still be tender crisp, and drain any water.
- In prepared casserole add the fried scallions and mushrooms and drained sliced Water Chestnuts to the Green Beans.
- Place in oven and heat through, keep warm till serving.