Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe makes enough for a 12-pound turkey. Make sure and adjust it to the weight of your bird. My mother says this recipe is the closest she has been able to find to her grandmother's stuffing.
- 3⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped, with leaves
- 1 cup butter
- 9 cups bread, soft, cut into cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sage leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Saute onion and celery in butter until tender.
- Stir in about 1/3 of the bread cubes.
- Turn into a deep bowl and add remaining ingredients. Toss well.
- Stuff turkey just before roasting.
This is how my mom makes stuffing, almost to the letter. I made this for Christmas and it was perfect. I did replace some of the butter with chicken stock. Thanks CTRmom.