1 hr 40 mins
My great grandmother made this all the time and no one had the recipe. She never measured anything she put in it. Finally my dad watched her make it one time and before she added each ingredient, he made her stop so he could measure it and write it down. This cake is different from the usual coconut cake in that the icing is less fluffy and instead soaks the cake more. It is to die for!! This is the moistest, densest cake, and the combination of flavors is amazing!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups shortening
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/2-3 cups milk
- 3 cups grated coconut (unsweetened)
- 1 1/2 cups marshmallows (her recipe says "handful")
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (my mom and I added this)
- 1Preheat oven to 300. Grease and flour 3 9" cake pans. Sift together flour and salt.
- 2Cream shortening and sugar until fluffy.
- 3Beat in eggs one at a time until combined.
- 4Add buttermilk, soda, and flavoring.
- 5Add flour mixture gradually until combined. This is similar to a pound cake batter.
- 6Pour into cake pans at bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean.
- 7For Icing:.
- 8Cook sugar, milk, coconut, marshmallows over a double boiler until smooth. Note: as it is hard to find unsweeted coconut, I've used sweeted and reduced the sugar to 1/2 Cup. Fold in almond extract. Icing will be fairly runny--it's supposed to seep into the cake and run off the sides. If you want it to be thicker, add more marshmallows.
- 9Ice layers and top of cake while still hot. I poke holes in the layers with a toothpick so that the icing seeps down into the cake.
- 10Cover and refrigerate overnight. No cheating! You MUST serve it after it's been refrigerated, and serve it cold - it's best that way.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Great Grandmother's Buttermilk Lemon Coconut Cake
Serving Size: 1 (179 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 610.2
- Calories from Fat 292
- Total Fat 32.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.3 g
- Cholesterol 58.8 mg
- Sodium 174.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 48.5 g
- Protein 7.3 g