Recipe by Michele in NJ
Posted by request of TragicHitori and my boyfriend...who has been screaming for my Gran's Shephard's Pie. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 ounce plain whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 pint beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 ounce butter
- 4 tablespoons fresh milk
- 2 ounces lancashire cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Dry fry the lamb with onion and bay leaf, mushrooms sand carrots for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Gradually blend in the stock and tomato puree. Cook, stirring until the mixture thickens and boils.
- Cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and season to taste.
- Spoon into a 3 pint ovenproof serving dish.
- Cook potatoes in boiling salted water for 20 minutes. Drain well. Mash with the butter and milk.
- Pile potatoes on the mince mixture and sprinkle over the cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.