Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Posted by request of TragicHitori and my boyfriend...who has been screaming for my Gran's Shephard's Pie. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 ounce plain whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 pint beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 ounce butter
- 4 tablespoons fresh milk
- 2 ounces lancashire cheese, crumbled
- Dry fry the lamb with onion and bay leaf, mushrooms sand carrots for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Gradually blend in the stock and tomato puree. Cook, stirring until the mixture thickens and boils.
- Cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and season to taste.
- Spoon into a 3 pint ovenproof serving dish.
- Cook potatoes in boiling salted water for 20 minutes. Drain well. Mash with the butter and milk.
- Pile potatoes on the mince mixture and sprinkle over the cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.