Recipe by nanunanu
This was my great-grandmother's specialty. I found it in one of her old cookbooks.
Top Review by Peggy Lynn
This is an absolutely wonderful cake!I had to sample a piece, and as it was still pretty warm i was sure it wasnt at its best yet. But it was wonderful. Very moist very flavorful, just right. Very unique in that it uses a brown sugar frosting instead of the more common cream cheese type. Five stars for this. I love the heirloom recipes---:)--PeggyLynn
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sour milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 mashed bananas
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- in large bowl, cream sugar, shortening and eggs until light and fluffy.
- stir in remaining ingredients as listed.
- pour into greased and floured 13x9 pan.
- bake 15 minuted at 400, then 20 minutes at 350.
- cake will remain moist.
- while cake is cooking, blend all ingredients for icing (except vanilla) in small saucepan.
- bring all ingredients to a boil, stirring constantly.
- when mixture reaches full rolling boil, boil for one minute.
- let cool.
- add vanilla.
- beat and spread on warm cake.