Recipe by Michelle_My_Belle
I found a delightful little box in my bottom turnaround, it was labeled recipes. I sifted through and separated all the hand written ones: This is my grandmother's recipe for sugar cookies--I wish I remembered eating any she made. I was raised in New Jersey while she was in Michigan, but my dad would always make them.
Top Review by blancpage
I love sugar cookies and this was a good recipe. The only shortening I had was butter-flavored Crisco. I think the lemon extract would be a great change, but all I had was vanilla. I had to replace the milk or cream with Almond Breeze Original Almond Milk. Made for Please Review My Recipe tag game. I will make again, as these are hard to stop eating! :) Thanks for sharing!
- 1⁄2 cup of soft shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk or 1 tablespoon cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract or 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together thoroughly shortening, sugar and egg.
- Stir in milk or cream and flavoring.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt and stir it into the mixture.
- Chill dough.
- Roll very thin (1/16 in.).
- Cut into desired shapes.
- Place on greased sheet and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake until delicately browned.
- Bake at 425°F for 5-7 minutes.