96 hrs 20 mins
This has been passed down from my grandmother to my mother, to me, and now to my children and their families. I never measure ingredients so I will do my best to give you ingredient proportions. Don't rush this one. Let it simmer and cook down for several hours. I use my food processor to do the chopping as there is a lot of it!Freezes great so I double, and sometimes triple, the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided use
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 3 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Tabasco sauce, several shakes
- oregano, to taste
- basil, to taste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- water, to make really soupy (it will cook down)
- 1Brown meat in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Drain well. (I rinse my meat after browning to get as much grease off as possible.).
- 2Chop celery, bell pepper, onions and garlic in food processor or by hand.
- 3Add remaining olive oil and saute vegetables until tender over medium-high heat. Return meat to the pan.
- 4Add remaining ingredients and add enough water to make really watery or soupy. It will cook down. Add water as needed. Simmer about 4 to 6 hours until cooks down to proper consistency for sauce.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Grandmothers Famous Spaghetti Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (430 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 431.5
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 98.2 mg
- Sodium 1173.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 34.2 g