Recipe by Danzy
My grandma didn't measure anything so this is as close as I could get. I never said it was a healthy recipe. It can be made without the evaporated milk and using low fat or skim milk and using margarine instead of butter but please use real vanilla and a good quality cocoa. You might have to adjust the cornstarch or cocoa depending on how thick or chocolaty you like your pies. I make 2 of these pies for every church covered dish meal and never get to bring a slice home. Oh yes...you can cook the filling in a large double boiler to avoid scorching it, it just takes longer.
Top Review by Peggy Lynn
This was an excellent chocolate pie recipe, I have been trying out quite a few chocolate pie recipes on zaar, and so far i have found them all to be five stars and company worthy. I cut this recipe in half to make one pie, and based on the posters suggestions I upped the cocoa and cornstarch. So I used 4T cocoa and 4T cornstarch. Did not do meringue but whipped cream instead. I was a bit concerned when this pie "jiggled" after being chilled overnight but the consistency was great!firm and cut like a dream. Great pudding type chocolate pie!thnks,PeggyLynn
- 2 (9 inch) deep dish pie shells, baked (bought or homemade)
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons good quality cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring (NOT ARTIFICIAL)
- 1 (15 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 6 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together sugar, cornstarch, salt and cocoa in a heavy 3 quart boiler.
- Beat egg yolks with milk and stir into dry ingredients.
- Add butter that has been cut into small cubes and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and just begins to "bubble".
- You must stir constantly or this filling will scorch.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and pour into baked pie shells and let cool some.
- Make a meringue from the 6 egg whites, cream of tarter and sugar.
- Spread on top of pies and brown in the oven at 325°F.
- Remove pies from oven when meringue is nicely brown.
- Let cool at least 30 minutes before you attempt to cut these pies.
- Let the kids or dear hubby have the pot and stirring spoon to lick clean.