Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is so good and moist--great for chocolate lovers. Original recipe had 1 tsp cinnamon, but I removed it. (Cooking time doesn't include the time to fridge the cake).
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 (16 g) packet baking powder
- 1 (1 g) packet vanilla extract
For the frosting
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 150 g baking chocolate (melted, you can melt it with little milk)
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- Preheat oven on 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Slightly glaze pie dish with butter and sprinkle flour (remove and excess flour and make certain a thin flour layer covers all parts evenly).
- Mix all ingredients well and pour in pie dish.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes on 200 degrees or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave cake to cool down.
- Meanwhile, cook the frosting as follows:.
- Melt butter in sauce pan then add all ingredients and stir well.
- When cake cools down, cut into two layers and put the frosting in between and on top.
- Put in fridge for 1 hour.
Sometimes I get cravings for chocolately spungy somethings. Then I'll usually go to the shops and buy some brownies or something. Well, no longer. This is a perfect cake. It is SO quick to prepare, I don't think it even took 30 mins! And it is SO tasty, even my DH went back for seconds... which is very unusual. This will be kept on hand for many years to come, I think! Specially because it is SO quick. No hours of baking needed. I skipped the chocolate in the frosting and used cocoa insted, and added a spoon of blackberry jam for an additional kick of flavour. (Reviewed for Spring PAC 2007)