Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
A few months ago I found out to be not only a gluten intolerant but even a dairy intolerant too. I know how terrible is to prepare sweets and desserts for the others and to not have the possibility to try them. That's why I prepared my own Tiramisù! I've used the gluten-free angel food cake and prepared a low-fat cream with soy milk and cornstarch. It was almost like the real Tiramisù!
for the Angel Food Cake
- 12 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup potato starch
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 3⁄4 cups artificial sweetener
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the cream
- 500 g vanilla-flavored soymilk
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons artificial sweetener
- 3 cups strong black coffee
- instant coffee powder, for dusting
- Prepare the Angel Food Cake:.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar and the salt until the soft peaks forms, then add 2 tbsp of the sweetener and continue to beat until the egg whites are very stiff.
- Stop to beat.
- In a bowl combine the cornstarch with the potato starch, the remaining sweetener and the vanilla, then sift this mixture up on the egg whites mixture.
- Stir very carefully to combine the ingredients.
- Pour batter into a rectangle baking sheet covered with ungreased baking wrap.
- Bake about 35 minutes.
- Do not under bake it.
- Top will be well browned.
- Immediately turn onto another baking wrap and allow to cool 5 minutes, then peel off the paper.
- While you're waiting to chill, prepare the cream:.
- In a deep saucepan combine the milk with the cornstarch and the sweetener. Pour over low heat uncovered. Stir continually about 5-6 minutes, until the mixture is thickened. Do not let it boil!
- Now, let's finish the Tiramisù:.
- Slice the Angel Food Cake into a 1/2 inch thin slices. wet them into the coffee and arrange some on the bottom of the serving bowl or into individual cups. Cover with cream. Repeat until all the angel food slices are finished. Cover with the remaining cream, sprinkle with some coffee powder.
- Chill in the refrigerator overnight.
wow!! made it for brother-in-law, whose diabetic, he loved it so did the rest of use. Made it with sponge fingers for quickness, instead of angel cake (as they are fat free & sugar free). Took about 10 mins to make + chilling time. well done zori