Recipe by carmenskitchen
This is my version adapted from Cooking Light and so, so very good!!! For whatever reason, I don't really like cooking with potatoes or adding a lot of unnecessary starch to my meals thus prompting me to immediately remove the potatoes from the original recipe. Also, my BF doesn't like mushrooms so I leave them out. Instead I use fresh spinach and corn from the cob which makes for a really terrific flavor combination. This recipe makes a lot of quiche so depending on what you choose to cook it in, you may need to adjust cooking time. Also, make sure you drain the veggies after you saute them since the mixture cannot stand any extra liquid or it won't set. Allow to cool for at least 20-30 minutes before serving.
- 354.88 ml egg substitute
- 3 large eggs
- 354.88 ml shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 354.88 ml shredded reduced-fat monterey jack cheese, divided
- 118.29 ml 1% low-fat milk
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 453.59 g carton fat-free cottage cheese
- cooking spray
- 946.36 ml sliced zucchini (about 4)
- 236.59 ml finely chopped green bell pepper (about 1)
- 118.29 ml finely chopped onion
- 340.19 g baby spinach leaves
- 3 ear corn, scraped
- 118.29 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Beat egg substitute and eggs in a large bowl until fluffy. Add 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, 3/4 cup Jack cheese, milk, flour, baking powder, salt, and cottage cheese.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add zucchini and the next 4 ingredients through corn; sauté for 5 minutes or until tender. Add the zucchini mixture and parsley to egg mixture. Pour mixture into a 3-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Top with the remaining 3/4 cup cheddar cheese and 3/4 cup Jack cheese. Arrange tomato slices over cheese. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350° (do not remove dish from oven), and bake for 45 minutes or until lightly browned and set.