Prep 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
The friand is a small, moist, dense, rich almondy cake. It is truly awesome. I can never stop at just one. I like to eat it fresh out of the oven, with a tablespoon of fresh cream. Wonderful. If you feel like a treat, add some fresh strawberries with the cream :). From Simple Food by Jill Dupleix
- 180 g butter (preferably unsalted)
- 200 g icing sugar
- 60 g plain flour, sifted
- 120 g ground almonds
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind or 1 teaspoon orange rind (i prefer orange)
- icing sugar, for dusting
- Heat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Melt butter and allow it to cool.
- Use 1 tablespoon to coat 10 muffin tin moulds or individual oval baking moulds measuring 5 x 10 cm.
- Sift icing sugar and flour into bowl, mix in the ground almonds.
- Lightly beat egg whites with a fork, fold them into dry ingredients.
- Add cooled, melted butter and orange rind, mix well.
- Three quarters fill each mould with mixture and bake on the middle shelf of oven for 10 minutes.
- Turn tray around, and bake for another 5- 10 minutes, till tops are golden, and springy to the touch.
- Leave in the tins for 5 minutes, then gently unmould onto a wire tray and leave to cool.
- Dust the friands with icing sugar to serve.
Bless you , KitchenManiac! I was introduced to friand at the Le Panier French Bakery at the Pike Place Market in Seattle. I've been searching unsuccessfully for a recipe ever since. These wonderful little dense cakes are superb, and just like the ones from the bakery! For those of you in American kitchens, I baked these at 375 F in my convection oven. My tins are clearly smaller- I used a shallow jam tart pan and miniature muffin tins. Both took about a tablespoon of batter per well and baked in about 10 minutes total.
I was not sure what to expect, but these were AWESOME! Like marzipan muffins,
Yum! I couldn't believe how easy and scrumptious this recipe was. I have everyone asking me for the recipe! I used those flexible silicone muffin moulds, and made sure I let them sit for 5 minutes before taking out.