Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 18 mins
YUMMY. I concocted this recipe in an attempt to copy a cake that was served in a deli where I and my co-workers went to have lunch at least twice a week. It comes pretty close to the original, and it keeps well--seems to get better as the days go on, although my family loved it so much it didn't last that many days!!!
- 3 cups peeled and chopped apples (I use Granny Smith apples)
- 5 tablespoons calvados apple brandy
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups moist flaked coconut (I use Angel Flake)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat the oil and sugars together.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each one.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda together.
- Add half of the flour mixture gradually to the egg mixture, mixing well.
- Add the apple brandy, vanilla and the coconut, mixing well.
- Dredge the apples, raisins and nuts in the remaining flour, coating well.
- Gradually stir into the cake mixture, mixing thoroughly.
- Pour into a well-greased and floured 10 inch tube cake pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes (or until a knife blade comes out clean when inserted into the cake.).
Made this for a family dinner....didn't get to bring a BIT of it home! Great texture, wonderful taste. Thank you so much for sharing!