Prep 3 hrs
Cook 45 mins
Made this for a series of sandwiches (which will follow) and it turned out FABULOUS! Good just by itself too!
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cups warm water
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 3⁄4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole wheat flour (or Lori's Flour 13 on Zaar...)
- 5 -6 cups flour
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Dissolve the yeast, sugar and water.
- Let stand until foamy.
- Add the eggs, flax, salt and Flour 13. Mix well.
- Stir in enough flour to make a dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth.
- Place in an oiled bowl. Cover. Set in a warm place. Let stand 1 hour.
- Punch down. Knead briefly.
- Return to bowl. Cover. Let rise 1 more hour.
- Punch down. Fill as desired (recipes will follow) or shape into a round. Brush with egg. Place on an oiled baking sheet. Cover. Let rise 30 minutes.
- Heat oven 350°F.
- Bake 25-45 minutes (depending on filling) or 30 minutes for loaf.
- Let cool on a rack.