2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 45 mins
Pa. Hiker's Note:
Well, not really, but if you've never made bread before this should be yours. It's easy, requires no kneading, and results in two wonderful loaves. This is a sticky batter dough so don't worry when it turns out that way. A note: while this can be done with a mixer, breads are much heavier than cakes; it should not be attempted without a good stand mixer, such as a Kitchen-Aid. I rarely use mixers, preferring to do it by hand.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put water in a small bowl, sprinkle the yeast, a pinch of the sugar, and the ginger, then mix until dissolved. Set aside to proof (become foamy), about 10 minutes.
- 2In a large mixing bowl combine the milk, sugar, oil, and 1-1/2 cup flour. Beat vigorously with a balloon or dough wisk until thick and sticky (about 40 strokes).
- 3Add the yeast mixture and beat vigorously for 1 minute.
- 4Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating until well incorporated.
- 5Beat vigorously for another 2 minutes, the scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. The dough will be sticky.
- 6Generously grease the sides of two ceramic or glass baking dishes, at least 13 oz. each.
- 7Divide the batter evenly between the two dishes, then flour the back of your fingers and press the dough in to fill up all the corners and smooth the top.
- 8Let rise 45 minutes to 1 hr until doubled in size. About 20 minutes before the rising is done heat the oven to 350 (325 if using a glass dish).
- 9Bake 45 minutes, check for doneness by inserting an instant-read thermometer and check for 200°F.
- 10Cool in the pans for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack and cool for 2 hrs before serving.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My First Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1078 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1407.1
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 49.3 mg
- Sodium 2522.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 241.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 20.6 g
- Protein 40.7 g