Recipe by Irmgard
This is a very simple to prepare dish which you can make up to two days ahead and then reheat - the flavour only gets better! It is wonderful served with scalloped potatoes and carrots or beets.
Top Review by duonyte
This made the most luscious sauce. Because of competing demands for the oven, I finished this by simmering on top of the stove for about 30 min (rather than uncovered in the oven), and for that reason I browned the ribs first. I also used homemade turkey stock, because I had it handy. But otherwise prepared the dish as written. Just wonderful. I used bone in ribs, and for us this was really just two servings.
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 lbs short rib of beef
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, combine the beef stock, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar and cornstarch; cook over medium heat, stirring, for about 2 minutes or until the mixture has thickened.
- Stir in the onion, garlic, honey and pepper.
- Place the ribs in a small casserole.
- Pour the sauce over; cover and bake in a 325 degree F oven for 1-1/4 hours.
- Uncover and bake for 30 minutes longer.
- Serve with the sauce.