1/2 Photos of My Favourite Pasta Sauce (Oamc if You Want)
Well, at least it's my favourite ground meat and tomato based pasta sauce. I always just throw it together, so it's a little different every time, but this time I did take meassurements, so I could share. Feel free to experiment with extra herbs or using just beef or just pork. I always make extra with this because it freezes extremely well. The recipe can easily be halved or doubled!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped (any colours)
- 10 -15 button mushrooms or 10 -15 chestnut mushrooms, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chopped stewed tomatoes with herbs (you might want to use 3 cans)
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 3/4 cup tomato ketchup (Heinz)
- 1 cup water (I prefer milk, you can also use a bit of both) or 1 cup milk (I prefer milk, you can also use a bit of both)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable bouillon granules (optional)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1Heat a little oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- 2Add the onion and the ground meat, season with salt and pepper, fry until meat is no longer pink.
- 3Add the garlic and stir well, fry for another minute or so.
- 4Add the tomatoes (try 2 cans first, you can always add the third one if you feel you want it to be 'saucier' later, after you have added the veg).
- 5Add the tomato paste, ketchup and water/milk.
- 6Stir in the oregano, basil, sugar and stock granules (if using).
- 7Add the chopped peppers and mushrooms, mix well and simmer for 25-30 minutes over a low heat, stirring occasionally.
- 8If you feel it needs it, add the third can of chopped tomatoes.
- 9Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 10Serve over your favourite pasta, with fresh parmesan or use as a layer when making a lasagna.
- 11For OAMC: Divide into portions that suit your needs, allow to cool and freeze in zip lock bags.
- 12Defrost overnight in the fridge and reheat in the microwave or on the stove top.
- 13To reheat from frozen, place in an oven proof dish, cover with a lid or tin foil and reheat in a preheated oven, 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 for approx 35 minutes or until piping hot all the way through.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Favourite Pasta Sauce (Oamc if You Want)
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 469.7
- Calories from Fat 247
- Total Fat 27.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 122.5 mg
- Sodium 616.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 13.7 g
- Protein 36.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
stewed tomatoes with herbs