Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
This is a very easy dough to work with and really great to make shapes or even a house. I made a house with a very basic plan that I scribbled on some paper and it was terrific! From Good Taste magazine December 2007. Similar to Lebkuchen.
- Place butter, sugar and treacle in a small saucepan over low heat, stir until the butter melts and sugar dissolves. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
- Combine butter mixture and eggs in a large bowl. Sift combined remaining ingredients over the butter mixture.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until smooth. Shape into a disc and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour to rest.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees, roll out dough to required thickness (eg 5mm thick) and make required shapes. Place shapes onto nonstick baking paper and bake for 5 minutes, or until golden.
- Let sit on trays for another 5 minutes before removing onto a wire rack to cool.
- Decorate as desired.
Enjoyed making this (recollections of youth!) ~ It was more like playtime than work! I used dark molasses in place of the treacle (a no-brainer there!) & everything came together nicely for the making of gingerbread stars & moons! Thanks for sharing your tasty gingerbread! [Made & reviewed for one of my teammates in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #15]