Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A wonderful cold raw tomato soup. Once the tomatoes and cucumbers are plentiful and the herbs are up this becomes a summer staple. It's almost a liquid salad. Fresh herbs and veggies are best but canned and dried can be substituted in a pinch.
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 118.29 ml mixed herbs (i used chives, parsley, dill, basil, thyme, tarragon)
- 118.29 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 709.77 ml beef stock or 709.77 ml consomme
- 1 sweet onions or 1 Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 cucumber (English-style is best)
- 2.46-4.92 ml paprika
- additional parsley, as garnish (optional)
- croutons or breadcrumbs, as garnish
- Quarter tomatoes and place in a blender or food processor.
- Add chopped green pepper, coarsely chopped herbs, and pressed garlic.
- Blend till smooth or a consistency you prefer.
- Place in a serving bowl.
- Gradually add 1/2 cup olive oil, the juice of 1 lemon, and 3 cups of chilled beef stock to the tomato mixture while stirring.
- Substitute vegetable stock for a vegetarian version.
- Blend the onion and 1/2 of the cucumber and add to the tomato mixture.
- Add the paprika and grate the remaining cucumber into the soup. Add salt if you like or allow people to add salt at the table.
- Place 2 ice cubes in each bowl and garnish with parsley.
- I like to serve this with a nice foccacia bread on the side, but it needs nothing else.
What needs to be highlighted is the fact that this needs to steep for 24 hrs and even gets better 2 to 3 days later.More of every veg. is also to the individuals taste.Some like lots of cucumber and some carrots,too.I like celery and include a few stalks,as well.
This was a very tasty cold soup and so colorful. I do not have a regular blender so I used an immersion blender instead, after having chopped all the vegetables first. I used the beef broth however next time I am going to use a vegetable broth because I do not care for beef that much. The only other change I would do is using less onion because it was somewhat over powering and less liquid because it seemed a little thin for my personal taste. This was a quick and refreshing addition to a dinner of simple sandwiches and green salad. My parents were both impressed and my dad asked for seconds. The leftovers were delicious the next day too- nice once the flavours had melded a bit. Thank-you!