Recipe by alleycatb
A wonderful cold raw tomato soup. Once the tomatoes and cucumbers are plentiful and the herbs are up this becomes a summer staple. It's almost a liquid salad. Fresh herbs and veggies are best but canned and dried can be substituted in a pinch.
Top Review by pcallicoat
What needs to be highlighted is the fact that this needs to steep for 24 hrs and even gets better 2 to 3 days later.More of every veg. is also to the individuals taste.Some like lots of cucumber and some carrots,too.I like celery and include a few stalks,as well.
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 cup mixed herbs (i used chives, parsley, dill, basil, thyme, tarragon)
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 cups beef stock or 3 cups consomme
- 1 sweet onions or 1 Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 cucumber (English-style is best)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon paprika
- additional parsley, as garnish (optional)
- croutons or breadcrumbs, as garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Quarter tomatoes and place in a blender or food processor.
- Add chopped green pepper, coarsely chopped herbs, and pressed garlic.
- Blend till smooth or a consistency you prefer.
- Place in a serving bowl.
- Gradually add 1/2 cup olive oil, the juice of 1 lemon, and 3 cups of chilled beef stock to the tomato mixture while stirring.
- Substitute vegetable stock for a vegetarian version.
- Blend the onion and 1/2 of the cucumber and add to the tomato mixture.
- Add the paprika and grate the remaining cucumber into the soup. Add salt if you like or allow people to add salt at the table.
- Place 2 ice cubes in each bowl and garnish with parsley.
- I like to serve this with a nice foccacia bread on the side, but it needs nothing else.