Recipe by MellyLou
Having lived with a breakfast man for three years, I can't believe I forgot my favorite sweet morning treat(aside from vegan donuts): French Toast! So, I decided to give it an honest vegan try and I ended up adapting a recipe submitted by Chef Smileyfroggy. It has the traditional Frenchie sweetness, that is also counteracted by the subtle sourness of the "soybuttermilk".
- 2 tablespoons flour or 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fine chia seed meal (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and additional for dusting
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all dry ingredients together thoroughly.
- Add lemon juice to soymilk and allow for it to sour for five minutes(makes a vegan buttermilk).
- Mix wet into dry ingredients.
- Soak each bread(stale, fresh, or oven dried)side for one minute each.
- Heat pan to medium, coat with 1 teaspoon or so of Earth Balance. Cook pan side for 1 minute and meanwhile dust face-up side with cinnamon. Then flip the toast a little prematurely, so that you can "unstick" and dust. I flip and cook each side, a total of two times each.