This is my personal favorite curry. I adore red curry with shrimp. I have changed this dish to suit my taste buds. Another quick and easy to make dish, that never disappoints. I use collasal shrimps in this dish but you could use jumbo shrimps. It's a great meal served with rice but is just as nice served with cellaphane noodles.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 inches galangal, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk, canned
- 1⁄4 cup coconut cream, canned
- 2 stalks lemongrass, snapped in half
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce, hot
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, fresh
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- 1 cup bamboo shoot, canned, thinly sliced, drained, rinsed
- 24 shrimp, collasal, uncooked, shelled
- 1⁄8 cup garlic chives (garnish)
- 4 cups rice, jasmine, steamed
- In a wok or large skillet, heat the oil and fry the shallots, galangal and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and cream, lemongrass, fish sauce, chili sauce, lime juice, sugar and bamboo shoots. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes.
- Next add the shrimp and simmer for 4 - 5 minutes.
- Once the shrimp have turned pink remove the curry from the stove top and pour over the rice, garnish with the chives and serve immediately.