1/8 Photos of My Favorite Sub (Hoagie) Rolls
1 hr 30 mins
When it comes to sub rolls, I prefer mine light and fluffy. I make up a big batch of these and freeze them for later use.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve sugar in water and add yeast to proof. Rest one to two minutes.
- 2Melt butter and, along with the salt, stir into yeast mixture.
- 3Mix in flour, 1 cup at a time until desired consistency is reached (this dough should not be terribly stick to the touch, but should have plenty of "give" and not be too tough).
- 4Knead until VERY well developed (important!). Your dough is finished when you can tear a small piece off, roll into a ball and stretch to form a nearly transparent "window" between your fingers without it tearing.
- 5Cover with plastic wrap and let stand until doubled in bulk (approx 40 minutes).
- 6Lightly dust a small amount of corn meal over well-greased pans, roll your dough into long, thin "logs" and place about 3" apart on the pans. Slash each loaf every inch and a half with a knife, brush with egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
- 7Let double in size.
- 8Bake in a 400°F oven until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Favorite Sub (Hoagie) Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (88 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 206.9
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 5.7 mg
- Sodium 896.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 5.6 g