Recipe by Zoesmama
Sometimes, I just don't want to separately make a meat, a vegetable and a starch. This is an awesome all in one salad that my family and I enjoy often. The salad and the french fries in the salad are inspired by a restaurant called "The Decade" in Pittsburgh, which is sadly no longer in existence. You can really do whatever you want with this recipe - any ingredients - any dressings; I'm just sharing the way that we usually do it. Enjoy!
Top Review by muncheechee
This is too funny! A friend and I ordered lunch one time at work and she was confused and upset when her salad arrived... yelling at her co-workers, "Where are my fries?" We told her she hadn't ordered fries. She was a recent transplant from PA where, according to her, when you order a salad a big pile of fries are in it! She just couldn't get over the fact that as long as she lived down here in the south, fries were not coming on her salad unless she assebled it herself. I might just have to try this salad in honor of her.
- 13 ounces lettuce (bagged lettuce of your choice or pick, wash and hand-tear your own)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- 1 English cucumber, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, sliced (or 4 Romas)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs New York strip steaks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb frozen french fries (I use Ore-Ida Golden, Crinkle, or Waffle, but use your favorite)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt (or you can use regular salt)
- 1 cup pre-shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups croutons
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle salad dressing (I use Good Seasons, but Ranch or Blue Cheese or your favorite will work well, too, use to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Using 4 dinner-sized bowls, layer the lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, and eggs.
- Take your steaks out of the refrigerator, rub them with olive oil and season with the salt and freshly ground pepper. Leave them out for 30 minutes. This relaxes the meat fibers.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees, or whatever the instructions on your french fries call for.
- At the same time, preheat your grill for about 450 degrees for the steaks.
- After your oven preheats, put your fries in the oven.
- At the same time, put your steaks on the grill. Flip them after 6-8 minutes and cook for an additional 6-8 minutes for medium-rare/medium. Your fries will be done or close to done at the same time as the steaks.
- When done, turn off your oven, season your fries with the seasoned or regular salt. Put the fries on the salads.
- Slice the steak into bite sized pieces and distribute the pieces over the fries.
- Sprinkle the salads with the mozzarella cheese and croutons.
- Pour on the salad dressing in the amount that you desire and toss if you wish.
- Enjoy this delicious all-in-one meal!