Recipe by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
This salad taught me to love spinach! The dressing is WONDERFUL. I also love it on a lettuce salad topped with dried cranberries, pecans and crumbled bleu cheese.
Top Review by Roxygirl in Colorado
This was a wonderful way to enjoy spinach salad! My husband gave it a compliment and he's not a spinach lover. I made some quick croutons (using nine grain bread) in the toaster oven. I am not a big cheese lover in salads, so I was surprised how much I liked it in this one! I can see why this is your favorite way to eat spinach salad. It's now one of ours! Roxygirl
- 1 bunch fresh spinach
- 4 -8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crouton
- 5 -6 slices bacon, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar or 3⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup good quality olive oil (no substitutes)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix first 4 ingredients together in a large bowl.
- To prepare dressing, warm wine vinegar slightly.
- Add sugar and stir to dissolve.
- (If you prefer a tangier dressing, reduce the sugar to 2/3 cup.) If you don't warm the vinegar, you will have trouble getting the sugar to dissolve.
- Allow to cool.
- Add onion, paprika and salt.
- Stir well.
- Add olive oil and blend.
- I prefer to put it in a bottle and shake it.
- Pour over salad and enjoy!