Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I have tried a couple of recipes on zaar but I keep going back to my own. I got the sauce recipe from a friend of my moms and the meatball recipe is my own adaptation from a recipe on a Muellers box. Add your favorite pasta and you have a meal.
- 2 -3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 small onion (diced small)
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes (ground and peeled-I use Pastene Kitchen Ready)
- 2 (12 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 48 ounces water (2 cans water for each can tomato paste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon onion powder (real onion can be used but my family doesn't like finding onions in their meatballs, go figure)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- Cover bottom of large pan with olive oil.
- Add garlic and onion and heat on low until tender.
- Add Pastene tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for at least 1 hour, stirring often.
- In large bowl, mix together all the ingredients.
- Shape into balls (makes about 30).
- Meatball cooking directions:.
- Bake in oven at 350, turning occasionally until the meatballs are brown on the outside.
- Add the meatballs to sauce and simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- This cooking method is also great for making the meatballs ahead of time. They can be frozen and dropped into sauce when you're ready.