Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have tried a couple of recipes on zaar but I keep going back to my own. I got the sauce recipe from a friend of my moms and the meatball recipe is my own adaptation from a recipe on a Muellers box. Add your favorite pasta and you have a meal.
- 2 -3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 small onion (diced small)
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes (ground and peeled-I use Pastene Kitchen Ready)
- 2 (12 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 48 ounces water (2 cans water for each can tomato paste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon onion powder (real onion can be used but my family doesn't like finding onions in their meatballs, go figure)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- Cover bottom of large pan with olive oil.
- Add garlic and onion and heat on low until tender.
- Add Pastene tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for at least 1 hour, stirring often.
- In large bowl, mix together all the ingredients.
- Shape into balls (makes about 30).
- Meatball cooking directions:.
- Bake in oven at 350, turning occasionally until the meatballs are brown on the outside.
- Add the meatballs to sauce and simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- This cooking method is also great for making the meatballs ahead of time. They can be frozen and dropped into sauce when you're ready.
This was very enjoyable. Since the tomatoes and tomato paste I used did not have any seasonings I added about a Tbsp each of basil and oregano. I simmered for a couple of hours then took a portion and added the meatballs. Thanks for sharing. Made for Spring PAC 2013.