1/2 Photos of My Favorite Son-in-law's Favorite Coconut Cream Pie
1 hr 10 mins
He says he is the FAVORITE son-in-law. I say he is the ONLY son-in-law! All kidding aside, I dedicate this pie recipe to my son-in-law Don, who is ill with terminal cancer. This one's for you, Don! (Cooking time includes cooling time)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups heated milk (not low-fat)
- 5/8 cup sugar (half cup plus two TBs.)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, scant
- 1/4 cup cold milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten (do not use the egg whites!)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 9-inch baked pie crusts or 1 purchased graham cracker crust
- 2 -3 cups thawed Cool Whip
- 1Heat the 1 1/2 cups of milk in a saucepan on low-medium heat until hot, but do not let it come to a boil.
- 2In a small bowl, blend together the sugar, flour, cornstarch, salt, and the 1/4 cup cold milk.
- 3Add to the hot milk in the saucepan, stirring constantly.
- 4Cook over low heat until thickened.
- 5Add some of the hot mixture to the 3 beaten egg yolks in a small bowl.
- 6Stir well to blend and then add to the saucepan, stirring constantly.
- 7Cook over low heat for a minute or two longer.
- 8Remove from the stove and stir in the vanilla, butter, almond extract and coconut.
- 9Let cool.
- 10Pour into the pie crust.
- 11Top with the Cool Whip.
- 12Use a spoon to make a pretty shape.
- 13Keep refrigerated until serving.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Favorite Son-in-law's Favorite Coconut Cream Pie
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 524.3
- Calories from Fat 292
- Total Fat 32.4 g
- Saturated Fat 19.7 g
- Cholesterol 109.4 mg
- Sodium 323.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 27.7 g
- Protein 7.1 g