Recipe by GranJan
He says he is the FAVORITE son-in-law. I say he is the ONLY son-in-law! All kidding aside, I dedicate this pie recipe to my son-in-law Don, who is ill with terminal cancer. This one's for you, Don! (Cooking time includes cooling time)
Top Review by berry271
This was also my first time making a CCP. I'm not a huge coconut "nut" but my hubby is. We all enjoyed it. It was pretty simple to make and yielded good flavor and texture. Used a graham cracker crust.
- 1 1⁄2 cups heated milk (not low-fat)
- 5⁄8 cup sugar (half cup plus two TBs.)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, scant
- 1⁄4 cup cold milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten (do not use the egg whites!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 9-inch baked pie crusts or 1 purchased graham cracker crust
- 2 -3 cups thawed Cool Whip
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the 1 1/2 cups of milk in a saucepan on low-medium heat until hot, but do not let it come to a boil.
- In a small bowl, blend together the sugar, flour, cornstarch, salt, and the 1/4 cup cold milk.
- Add to the hot milk in the saucepan, stirring constantly.
- Cook over low heat until thickened.
- Add some of the hot mixture to the 3 beaten egg yolks in a small bowl.
- Stir well to blend and then add to the saucepan, stirring constantly.
- Cook over low heat for a minute or two longer.
- Remove from the stove and stir in the vanilla, butter, almond extract and coconut.
- Let cool.
- Pour into the pie crust.
- Top with the Cool Whip.
- Use a spoon to make a pretty shape.
- Keep refrigerated until serving.