Prep 0 mins
Cook 7 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 cup margarine
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Cream sugar and margarine; add egg and flavorings and mix well.
- Stir dry ingredients; mix into sugar and margarine mixture. Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Roll out 3/16-inch thick.
- Bake 7-8 minutes until delicately brown.
- Let cool.
- Icing for Roll Out Sugar Cookies: 2 cups powdered sugar, milk and 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Icing for Roll Out Sugar Cookies: In a mixing bowl, sift powdered sugar.
- Gradually add milk, stirring continuously until mixture is the consistency of a thin glaze. Add vanilla.
- Blend well.
- Food coloring may be added, if desired.
Great texture, great taste. Everyone always asks for this recipe when I make these cookies.
Cream of Tartar substitute: -1 tsp Baking powder = 1/2 tsp cream of tartar & 1/4 tsp soda. Since the recipe calls for both baking soda and cream of tarter, then omit both the baking soda & cream of tartar and just use baking powder. One teaspoon baking powder is equivalent to 1/4 teaspoon baking soda plus 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar.
I'm a huge fan of Mary's Sugar cookie recipe by Betty Crocker - its the only roll out dough that I'll use for the holidays! Great flavor!