Recipe by Kathy(
I waded through hundreds of potato salad recipes to see if this recipe was already posted -- no! The potatoes are cooked, then marinated in an italian dressing mixture for extra flavor. Not sure where this came from -- could have been a cookbook I had early in the 1980's.
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 12 slices cooked bacon
- 1⁄2 cup sliced black olives (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced radish (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup peas, cooked (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup pimiento (optional)
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, coarsely chopped
- paprika, to garnish
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil 1" of salted water in a sauce pot. Add whole potatoes. Boil, reduce heat. Cover pot and cook until tender 30-35 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Prepare italian dressing mixture. Cut potatoes into cubes or slices. Stir in onion, italian dressing, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Combine mayonnaise, mustard, bacon, celery, and optional ingredients. (This can be done ahead of time and refrigerated).
- Just before serving, drain potatoes if necessary. Toss potatoes with mayonnaise mixture. Gently stir in eggs. Sprinkle with paprika.