Recipe by BoxerRebellion
This is my favorite way to eat tomatoes, developed accidentally by my brother-in-law on a "empty cupboard" day. I've been addicted ever since! It's a great simple lunch or snack.
Top Review by Diana #2
This made for a terrific lunch today. I do have to agree, without grilling the bread first, it would be soggy. Glad I followed your advise. Thanks so much for making my lunch special today. Made for Spring PAC 2009.
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 4 slices bread (I prefer the specialty bakery or homemade, but any will do)
- boursin cheese (I like goat cheese on these too)
- butter or margarine or Pam cooking spray, for toasting
- kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread butter, margarine, or Pam on both sides of each piece of bread.
- Grill on a cast iron skillet, non-stick pan, or whatever it takes to get them toasted. (You can toast them in a toaster and then butter them, but I've found that makes them a little soggy.).
- In the meantime, slice each tomato into 8 slices.
- When the bread is toasted on both sides, spread Boursin or goat cheese on one side of the bread.
- Top each bread slice with four tomatoes.
- Sprinkle each sandwich with kosher salt to taste.