1/1 Photo of My Favorite Navy Bean Soup...so Easy to Prepare!
2 hrs 20 mins
GREG IN SAN DIEGO's Note:
This is a wonderful hearty soup, great for using leftover ham from the holidays. Note 1: For a richer-tasting stock, take half of the cooked beans and puree them with the metal blade of your food processor and then add them back to the soup. Note 2: You can soak the beans overnight to speed up the preparation process and omit cooking in the first step of the directions. This soup is comfort food at its best. You will love it. Don't let the number of Steps in the Directions divert you: I always try to make my preparation directions explicit and detailed...to make preparation easier, not more difficult!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried navy beans (white peas, about 2 cups)
- 3 large carrots, trimmed, peeled and cut into 3 inch lengths
- 2 stalks celery, washed, de-veined, and cut into 3 inch lengths
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered
- 6 cups water
- 8 ounces sliced ham (or cooked bacon)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1Wash beans in a colander.
- 2Sort beans, discarding stones and blemished beans.
- 3Place beans in a large saucepan and cover with cold water by 1 inch.
- 4Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 5Boil for 2 minutes.
- 6Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- 7Drain beans and return to saucepan.
- 8In food processor bowl fitted with slicing blade, slice carrots, celery and onion.
- 9Add carrot-vegetable mixture to beans in saucepan.
- 10Add 6 cups water.
- 11Bring mixture to a simmer over high heat.
- 12Replace slicing food processor blade with metal blade.
- 13Add ham (or bacon) and pulse until chopped.
- 14Add ham or bacon to saucepan.
- 15Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until beans are very tender, about 1 and 1/2 hours.
- 16Add sugar, to taste.
- 17Add salt, white pepper, and pinch of ground nutmeg.
- 18Serve soup in heated bowls.
- 19If desired, add 1/2 t sour cream or creme fraice to top each serving, or.
- 20add dollop of sherry to each serving.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Favorite Navy Bean Soup...so Easy to Prepare!
Serving Size: 1 (324 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 266.3
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 14.7 mg
- Sodium 756.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.1 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 19.5 g