Recipe by thepurpleturtle
I used these meatballs for meatball Sandwiches and they turned out amazing! For the bread I used Rickv's Basic Machine French Bread on the dough cycle, then rolled the dough into 6 sub-shaped rolls, 3 slits across the top and let rise for 1 hour and baked at 375 for about 15 minutes. This recipe is also great served over spaghetti noodles.
Top Review by Chef Jean
Wonderful recipe! Great flavors and I love that you bake than simmer the meatballs. I would have loved to have this as a sandwhich, but I didn't have any good bread on hand so I had it over pasta. This came togther pretty quickly, but you could really simmer the sauce for as long as you wanted. Made for ZWT 7.
- 1 lb ground pork (could use ground beef)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (crushed Breton crackers work great and add more flavour!)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 (5 1/2 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (680 ml) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 bay leaf (ground up)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄3 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Whisk together the milk and egg, add breadcrumbs (or crushed crackers) and let sit for a couple minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix together just until combined.
- Roll mixture into meatballs about an inch wide and place on a greased, foil lined baking sheet.
- Tip: If using for sandwiches, flatten each meatball slightly with a fork - (they become mini burger shapes which are easier to eat on the sandwich).
- Bake meatballs in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- For the sauce, combine all sauce ingredients in a large pot and bring to a simmer.
- When the meatballs are done baking, add them to the sauce and simmer for an additional 30-45 minutes.
- For Meatball Sandwiches, serve meatballs and sauce on buns (see my description above, or use your own choice of bun or crusty roll)and top with cheese if you wish, such as shredded parmesan and cheddar or mozzarella.
- OR -- forget the sandwich and serve the meatballs and sauce over spaghetti noodles!