Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 mins
I made this up this morning and it tastes so much better than the instant stuff!
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup water (you can use milk for a creamier oatmeal)
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tablespoon dried cranberries or 1 tablespoon raisins, chopped fine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons maple syrup or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pancake syrup
- 1 -2 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- Mix oats, salt and water in a 3 cup bowl.
- Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes; stir.
- Add cranberries and microwave another 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, watching that the mixture does not overflow the bowl.
- Stir and top with syrup and sprinkle with brown sugar.
I made this as written and this was enough for my son and I for breakfast. I used milk instead of water and didn't add the raisins. I used 1 teaspoon of splenda brown sugar blend. I cooked mine in the microwave for two minutes and it was perfect. So good and yummy.
It was okay. The kids enjoyed the novelty of it.
Having never been a big fan of maple brown sugar oatmeal, I was happy to find that this recipe isn't as unpalatable to me as the instant stuff! I used a packet of Quaker Organic instant oatmeal and about 2/3 cup water. I used a few craisins, not many because I don't really like them... Walden Farms "calorie-free" pancake syrup and a sprinkle of Splenda brown sugar blend. I did have to add some granulated Splenda after that, I guess because I didn't put in very much of the former! All in all, a pleasing bowl of oatmeal. Thanks for posting!