1 hr 10 mins
alice Dave's Note:
This is a very yummy lentil soup with a Mediterranean flair. I learned it from a girlfriend of mine. It is very easy to make. You can double and triple the recipe without any trouble and it freezes well if you want to use it for a freezer dinner. Most of all, it is just so tasty. It feels like comfort food, but isn't as fattening and has a lot more flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, grated
- 3/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 3/4 teaspoon thyme
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 28 ounces chopped canned tomatoes with juice
- 7 cups chicken broth or 7 cups vegetable broth or 7 cups beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups lentils (rinsed in 4 changes of water)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, cheese (optional)
- 1Sauté onions in olive oil until soft.
- 2Add carrots, marjoram and thyme, then sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- 3add wine, canned tomatoes, broth and lentils. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the lentils are tender.
- 4Add salt and pepper to taste along with chopped parsley. Simmer a couple of minutes.
- 5Serve with grated cheddar cheese on top.
- 6To make vegetarian use vegetable broth. To make this a vegan dish, skip the cheddar cheese.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Favorite Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (884 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 326.9
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1630.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 18.1 g