Recipe by alice Dave
This is a very yummy lentil soup with a Mediterranean flair. I learned it from a girlfriend of mine. It is very easy to make. You can double and triple the recipe without any trouble and it freezes well if you want to use it for a freezer dinner. Most of all, it is just so tasty. It feels like comfort food, but isn't as fattening and has a lot more flavor.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, grated
- 3⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 3⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 28 ounces chopped canned tomatoes with juice
- 7 cups chicken broth or 7 cups vegetable broth or 7 cups beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups lentils (rinsed in 4 changes of water)
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onions in olive oil until soft.
- Add carrots, marjoram and thyme, then sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- add wine, canned tomatoes, broth and lentils. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the lentils are tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste along with chopped parsley. Simmer a couple of minutes.
- Serve with grated cheddar cheese on top.
- To make vegetarian use vegetable broth. To make this a vegan dish, skip the cheddar cheese.