Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a very yummy lentil soup with a Mediterranean flair. I learned it from a girlfriend of mine. It is very easy to make. You can double and triple the recipe without any trouble and it freezes well if you want to use it for a freezer dinner. Most of all, it is just so tasty. It feels like comfort food, but isn't as fattening and has a lot more flavor.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, grated
- 3⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 3⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 28 ounces chopped canned tomatoes with juice
- 7 cups chicken broth or 7 cups vegetable broth or 7 cups beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups lentils (rinsed in 4 changes of water)
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, cheese (optional)
- Sauté onions in olive oil until soft.
- Add carrots, marjoram and thyme, then sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- add wine, canned tomatoes, broth and lentils. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the lentils are tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste along with chopped parsley. Simmer a couple of minutes.
- Serve with grated cheddar cheese on top.
- To make vegetarian use vegetable broth. To make this a vegan dish, skip the cheddar cheese.
Really tasty! I thought I had lentils at home but was mistaken and used yellow split peas, adjusting for cooking time.
Nice flavors. My lentils took more time to cook, but it was worth the wait. Also freezes well.