I adopted this recipe from Recipezaar in September 2006. It was originally submitted by Moxie, but she is no longer a member of Recipezaar. I've been making Moxie's recipe for several years now and I'm proud to give it a home. The only change I make is that I use two cans of cream of chicken soup and omit the can of cream of mushroom soup, because my kids dislike mushrooms. This casserole is a church potluck staple here in Texas and there are as many versions of this dish as there are armadillos in Texas. However, this is the best King Ranch Chicken recipe that I've found! This casserole also freezes well.
- 6 -8 chicken breasts
- salt & pepper
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) jar Cheez Whiz
- 1 (11 ounce) bagcheesy plain Doritos or 1 (11 ounce) bagother corn chips, crushed
- 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
- paprika, to garnish
- Steam or boil the chicken breasts until cooked through (I use my steamer and find it makes the chicken perfectly moist and tender).
- When cool, dice into bite-size pieces.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, mix the soups, onion, Ro-tel tomatoes and Cheez Whiz until blended.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Layer the bottom of a greased 9x12 casserole dish with crushed chips.
- Next, layer half the chicken pieces.
- Top with half the sauce.
- Sprinkle with half the cheddar cheese.
- Repeat the layers, but top with the Cheddar and Mozzarella.
- Sprinkle paprika over the top to garnish.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
Hi, I made this tonight for dinner... What great comfort food!!! Yum! I cut the recipe in half and still have enough for lunch tomorrow. I used crushed tostidos on the bottom of the pan. I love that it is easy, yet good. Thanks so much for sharing this with us. I have been looking for a good recipe for this!
Your favorite has now become one of ours! We love mexican food and this recipe was so easy and delicious! This is one of those dishes that you can put together in no time yet the results are wonderful. Great comfort food served with a side of spanish rice. Yum. Thanks DE.....ah Moxie (sigh)
I love this dish! My aunt's mother-in-law has been making it for years and it is always a favorite with everyone who tries it! Thanks for reminding me of it! :-)