1/3 Photos of My Favorite King Ranch Chicken
1 hr 25 mins
Kim D.'s Note:
I adopted this recipe from Recipezaar in September 2006. It was originally submitted by Moxie, but she is no longer a member of Recipezaar. I've been making Moxie's recipe for several years now and I'm proud to give it a home. The only change I make is that I use two cans of cream of chicken soup and omit the can of cream of mushroom soup, because my kids dislike mushrooms. This casserole is a church potluck staple here in Texas and there are as many versions of this dish as there are armadillos in Texas. However, this is the best King Ranch Chicken recipe that I've found! This casserole also freezes well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 -8 chicken breasts
- salt & pepper
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) jar Cheez Whiz
- 1 (11 ounce) bag cheesy plain Doritos or 1 (11 ounce) bag other corn chips, crushed
- 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
- paprika, to garnish
- 1Steam or boil the chicken breasts until cooked through (I use my steamer and find it makes the chicken perfectly moist and tender).
- 2When cool, dice into bite-size pieces.
- 3In a large saucepan over medium heat, mix the soups, onion, Ro-tel tomatoes and Cheez Whiz until blended.
- 4Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- 5Layer the bottom of a greased 9x12 casserole dish with crushed chips.
- 6Next, layer half the chicken pieces.
- 7Top with half the sauce.
- 8Sprinkle with half the cheddar cheese.
- 9Repeat the layers, but top with the Cheddar and Mozzarella.
- 10Sprinkle paprika over the top to garnish.
- 11Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Favorite King Ranch Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (337 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 929.3
- Calories from Fat 517
- Total Fat 57.5 g
- Saturated Fat 22.8 g
- Cholesterol 179.8 mg
- Sodium 2271.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 55.0 g