Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
These are my all-time favorite ginger cookies! The whole house smells good when these are baking. The recipe comes from Southern Living's 1970 "Our Best Recipes."
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- sugar, to roll dough in
- Cream shortening until soft.
- Add sugar gradually, creaming well after each addition.
- Beat in egg and molasses.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Sift dry ingredients over creamed mixture.
- Mix well.
- Form teaspoons of dough into small balls.
- Roll round dough into sugar and place on an ungreased cooking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes until tops are slightly cracked and rounded.
Exactly how ginger snaps are supposed to be! I love the cracked and sugary appearance almost as much as the good old-fashioned taste. I made my cookies quite small and ended up with a total of 56 cookies.