Recipe by Aunt Willie
These are my all-time favorite ginger cookies! The whole house smells good when these are baking. The recipe comes from Southern Living's 1970 "Our Best Recipes."
Top Review by cpenner
Exactly how ginger snaps are supposed to be! I love the cracked and sugary appearance almost as much as the good old-fashioned taste. I made my cookies quite small and ended up with a total of 56 cookies.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- sugar, to roll dough in
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening until soft.
- Add sugar gradually, creaming well after each addition.
- Beat in egg and molasses.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Sift dry ingredients over creamed mixture.
- Mix well.
- Form teaspoons of dough into small balls.
- Roll round dough into sugar and place on an ungreased cooking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes until tops are slightly cracked and rounded.