1/6 Photos of My Favorite French Toast
I'd been polishing this recipe for a while, then found the absolute best bread to use and now The Beau says I've ruined him for all other French Toast. It's called shoku pan, it's from the Japanese bakery. Shoku pan is wonderfully square and comes sliced either thin or thick--each of the thick slices are an inch fat! Look for it at an Asian market, I get mine at Uwajimaya or 99 Ranch Market and buy it a couple of days before I'm planning to make this so the bread is slightly stale. If you can't find shoku pan, substitute another thick sliced Texas Toast style bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup Wondra Flour or 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, can be substituted
- 1 cup milk, whole is best,room temperature
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 eggs, room temperature,slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cognac or 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier
- 1 loaf shoku pan bread, thick slice
- 1Pour flour into a large mixing bowl.
- 2Slowly whisk in the milk.
- 3Whisk in salt, eggs, spices, vanilla, sugar and cognac or Grand Marnier until smooth.
- 4Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium heat.
- 5Soak bread slices in mixture until saturated.
- 6Cook bread on each side until golden brown, keeping cooked slices warm in a 250° oven until ready to serve.
- 7Serve hot with butter and your favourite syrup, 2 slices per person.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Favorite French Toast
Serving Size: 1 (215 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 373.8
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 167.1 mg
- Sodium 803.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 14.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: