I make soups ALOT. This is great. Recipe comes from Take Home Chef Curtis Stone. My kids love it
Make and share this My Favorite French Onion Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 onions, thinly sliced (about 3 pounds/1.4 g total)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 8 cups good quality beef stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 slices sourdough bread (3/4-inch-/2-cm-thick slices)
- 6 ounces gruyere cheese, shredded
- 5 g thinly sliced fresh flat leaf parsley
- To prepare the soup and toast:.
- Place a heavy based large pot over a moderate heat. Drizzle the olive oil into the hot pot and add the onions.
- Cook the onions for 1 hour or until they are golden, stirring often. Once the onions become very soft they will begin to stick to the bottom of the pot and turn a caramel brown color. As this occurs, scrape the browned onions from the bottom of the pot and stir them into the remaining onion mixture.
- Add the garlic, thyme and bay leaf to the onions and cook for 5 minutes or until the garlic softens. Add the red wine and sherry and stir to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the liquids reduce by half.
- Add the stock and bring the soup to a gentle simmer, skimming any foam that rises to the top, if necessary. Season the soup lightly with salt and pepper. Add just a bit of salt and pepper here, but not too much since the soup will reduce as it simmers and the flavors will become more concentrated.
- Allow the soup to simmer uncovered for 25 minutes. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, preheat the broiler on high. Arrange the sourdough bread slices on a baking sheet and broil for 2 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Divide the soup among 6 high sided ovenproof serving bowls. Place the bowls of soup on a heavy baking sheet. Place one bread slice, toasted side down, on top of each bowl of soup.
- Divide the cheese among the soup bowls and sprinkle with parsley. Place the soup bowls under the broiler for about 3 minutes or until the cheese melts and is golden brown. Remove from the broiler and serve.