1/1 Photo of My Favorite French Onion Soup
I make soups ALOT. This is great. Recipe comes from Take Home Chef Curtis Stone. My kids love it
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 onions, thinly sliced (about 3 pounds/1.4 g total)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup sherry wine
- 8 cups good quality beef stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 slices sourdough bread (3/4-inch-/2-cm-thick slices)
- 6 ounces gruyere cheese, shredded
- 5 g thinly sliced fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1To prepare the soup and toast:.
- 2Place a heavy based large pot over a moderate heat. Drizzle the olive oil into the hot pot and add the onions.
- 3Cook the onions for 1 hour or until they are golden, stirring often. Once the onions become very soft they will begin to stick to the bottom of the pot and turn a caramel brown color. As this occurs, scrape the browned onions from the bottom of the pot and stir them into the remaining onion mixture.
- 4Add the garlic, thyme and bay leaf to the onions and cook for 5 minutes or until the garlic softens. Add the red wine and sherry and stir to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the liquids reduce by half.
- 5Add the stock and bring the soup to a gentle simmer, skimming any foam that rises to the top, if necessary. Season the soup lightly with salt and pepper. Add just a bit of salt and pepper here, but not too much since the soup will reduce as it simmers and the flavors will become more concentrated.
- 6Allow the soup to simmer uncovered for 25 minutes. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, preheat the broiler on high. Arrange the sourdough bread slices on a baking sheet and broil for 2 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- 7Divide the soup among 6 high sided ovenproof serving bowls. Place the bowls of soup on a heavy baking sheet. Place one bread slice, toasted side down, on top of each bowl of soup.
- 8Divide the cheese among the soup bowls and sprinkle with parsley. Place the soup bowls under the broiler for about 3 minutes or until the cheese melts and is golden brown. Remove from the broiler and serve.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Favorite French Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (569 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 510.3
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 31.2 mg
- Sodium 1625.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 21.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs