From Tyler Florence. This ain’t no soup from a can. Fabulous! I have typed the recipe in its original form, however I omit the cream...it really isn’t necessary and omitting it does not compromise the taste one bit. Enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 -2 slice bacon, finely chopped
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes
- 3 parsley sprigs
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Heat the butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring, until crisp and most of the fat has rendered, about 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside. Lower the heat to medium, add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until soft and fragrant, about 8 minutes.
- 2Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Pour in the broth and crush the tomatoes through your fingers into the pan. Bring to a boil while whisking constantly. Tie the parsley sprigs, thyme, and bay leaf together with a piece of kitchen twine and add to the pot. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- 3Remove and discard the herb bundle. Working in batches, transfer the mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. Return the puree to the pot and reheat over medium heat.
- 4Whisk in the heavy cream, salt, and pepper, to taste. Divide among warm soup bowls and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Favorite Creamy Tomato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (614 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 0.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs