Recipe by Mary K. W.
I found this recipe on another site and it is without doubt my favorite recipe for corned beef and cabbage. The orange just gives the meat a totally different flavor than what I'm used to. My son-in-law who also loves cabbage said this is the best cabbage, bar none, that he has ever tasted. I have also made the corned beef in a crock pot, cooking for 7 to 8 hours on low.
- 2494.75 g corned beef brisket
- 29.58 ml pickling spices
- 1 orange, sliced in rounds
- 2 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 118.29 ml cold water
- 88.74 ml margarine, divided
- 1 head cabbage, cored & sliced
- 236.59 ml golden delicious apple, cored & quartered
- 59.14 ml cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300. Line a 9 x 13 roasting pan with foil, leaving enough extending over the sides to cover and seal in the roast.
- Rinse the brisket and pat dry. Rub with pickling spice and place in the prepared roasting pan. Arrange celery, orange and onion slices on and around the roast. pour in 1/2 cup of water and wrap foil up around and over the roast tightly, making sure the ends are sealed.
- Bake for about 4 hours or until meat is tender.
- About 45 minutes before time is up on the roast, heat 3 tablespoons margarine and 1/4 cup of water in large pot. Add cabbage and apples, cover and simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Occasionally shake the pot so that nothing sticks to the bottom.
- Serve with remaining margarine and sliced corned beef.