I found this recipe on another site and it is without doubt my favorite recipe for corned beef and cabbage. The orange just gives the meat a totally different flavor than what I'm used to. My son-in-law who also loves cabbage said this is the best cabbage, bar none, that he has ever tasted. I have also made the corned beef in a crock pot, cooking for 7 to 8 hours on low.
- Preheat oven to 300. Line a 9 x 13 roasting pan with foil, leaving enough extending over the sides to cover and seal in the roast.
- Rinse the brisket and pat dry. Rub with pickling spice and place in the prepared roasting pan. Arrange celery, orange and onion slices on and around the roast. pour in 1/2 cup of water and wrap foil up around and over the roast tightly, making sure the ends are sealed.
- Bake for about 4 hours or until meat is tender.
- About 45 minutes before time is up on the roast, heat 3 tablespoons margarine and 1/4 cup of water in large pot. Add cabbage and apples, cover and simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Occasionally shake the pot so that nothing sticks to the bottom.
- Serve with remaining margarine and sliced corned beef.
Really appreciate this recipe. It was uber easy and tasted great. Less salty than what I'm used to which was wonderful. Not sure if that's the orange at work or what. Thanks!
I love it!!! I have been doing mine in the crockpot or stovetop for 30 years, but this was truly the best.
OMG!!! I usually cook it in my crockpot, but I realized I forgot to put it in before I left for work. I was looking for a recipe that wouldn't need to be in the crockpot and take 8 hours. So....I tried this one! I don't think I will ever cook it in the crockpot again! It was so yummy AND tender....it just fell apart! I really liked the flavor of the oranges also! Nice change!! Thanks again!