Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I found this recipe on myrecipe.com and saw that it had the most and the highest rated reviews. I was glad I gave it a shot, the cake was the best carrot cake I've made. It was flavorful and moist. I threw raisins into the mix as well and used my Favorite Cream Cheese frosting recipe. Which I will put on a separate post.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (about 6 3/4 ounces)
- 1 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned crushed pineapple, drained
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare cake, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, coconut, pecans, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Combine oil and eggs; stir well. Stir egg mixture, grated carrot, and pineapple into flour mixture. Spoon batter into a 13 x 9-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare frosting, combine butter and cream cheese in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla just until smooth. Spread frosting over top of cake. Garnish each serving with grated carrot, if desired.
This is unbelievably moist! Another recipe used 1 1/2 C oil & 4 eggs, just way too much fat. I used whole wheat pastry flour & had to add an additional 1 TB oil & about 1/4 cup non fat milk because I had no pineapple to make it more liquid. I also subbed 1/3 brown sugar for the white & had no coconut but added raisins. It needs no frosting! Next time I'll use part Stevia to bring the carbs & calories down. I used a bundt pan & it took about 45 min to bake. My husband loved it!
This was awesome! I used whole wheat pastry flour, unsweetened coconut, walnuts instead of pecans, added an extra teaspoon of cinnamon and cut the sugar to 3/4 cup. Instead of using a 13x9 pan, I baked it in two 8x8 pans. I put one in the freezer for later, but frosted the other with a 1/4 of My Favorite Cream Cheese Frosting and served it after dinner. Everyone enjoyed it and so I'll definitely be making this again. Thanks so much.
This cake is so yummy. Almost no oil in it, that's really good. It's a healthy cake we all enjoyed. My mother will keep the recipe to do it often. We used only 3/4 cup of sugar, unsweetened coconut. We baked it in the 13x9 baking pan, then we cut it in half to have a cute cake with frosting (My Favorite Cream Cheese Frosting) in the middle. Thanks Valgal :) Made for PAC Spring 2010