Recipe by foodmama in homewood, Illinois
family recipe that has been added on to and changed over the years ---can't go wrong with chili-- my husband and I like it with a little kick so I add the red pepper flakes and hot sauce after I serve the kids
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans, with liquid
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 medium onion (chopped )
- 1 small green pepper (chopped)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes (a few shakes worth(or more it's up to you)
- hot sauce (optional)
- sour cream (reserve for toppping)
- cheddar cheese (reserve for topping)
Directions See How It's Made
- You will need a decently large pot-- at least 4 qts.
- Cook at med. to high heat.
- Brown the meat and onions and green pepper all together--drain grease.
- Add all other ingredients except sour cream and cheese
- Turn to med-low heat.
- Let simmer for 20 min stirring often--do taste checks to make sure that it's the way you like it.
- Serve with biscuits, over macaroni or just enjoy it plain!