Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This recipe is another of my old standby recipes for good old southern spoon bread.
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup cornmeal, plus
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat eggs and sugar together until volume of eggs is doubled.
- In a pan on a burner at low heat, melt butter, then add milk and heat until not quite boiling.
- Add salt to milk and butter mixture.
- Add the corn meal gradually and cook over low heat, making sure you stir constantly, for about 5 minutes, until very thick.
- Remove from heat and fold in beaten eggs.
- Grease a 2 quart casserole and pour mixture into it.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Serve hot with plenty of butter.
The best just like picadillys