Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
This is your basic chicken salad -- and my old standby recipe. Veronique in the name indicates the presence of green grapes which make this salad extra-delicious. I like to serve it surrounded with fresh fruits in season and hot muffins or sliced tea breads. This is a perfect summer lunch or supper menu, to my way of thinking. Note that cooking time is actually chilling time.
- 2 cups coarsely diced cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced celery, chilled
- 1 cup seedless white grapes, chilled
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, chilled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup blanched slivered almond, toasted (almond halves may be used, also)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle chicken with lemon juice and salt; chill several hours.
- Halve grapes if they are very large. Add celery, grapes, chopped eggs, mayonnaise, and almonds; toss lightly.
- Season salad with salt to taste.
- Note: This salad goes equally well with a vegetable platter. Omit the grapes and add chopped onion to taste, if desired. Serve surrounded with fresh vegetables or vegetables vinaigrette. Add a savory muffin or tea bread for an equally delightful meal.