Recipe by 2Bleu
Bird's favorite calzone and filling (ok, Buddha loves it too). This is made using Buddha's Pizza Pie Crust. You can make one large calzone, or divide the dough into two or four and have small individual servings. You can add a side of warmed 2bleu's 2 Minute 2 Easy Pizza Sauce, but we enjoy it 'as is'. You can bake the calzones, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap, and then freeze the calzones for up to one month, just defrost in microwave, then re-heat on your pizza stone for 10 minutes in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven. You can add your own fillings of choice, and if you add marinera or pizza sauce inside a calzone, it becomes a wonderful stromboli!
Top Review by OCMom1
Very Good and easy filling for calzones. I used my std pizza dough recipe - Honey Pizza dough #117941 only because I've made it numerous times with great success. The only change made was not using Ham and subbing in pepperoni instead. Using Turkey sausage with lite cheese actually makes this a healthy meal as well. We had lots of filling left over so used it up a few days in more calzones!
- 1 recipe pizza dough (Buddha's Pizza Pie Crust)
- 12 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces deli ham, shredded (or sliced super thin and chopped)
- 8 ounces mild Italian sausage, crumbled, cooked, and drained well on paper towels
- 1 egg (mixed with 1 tsp water)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place oven rack on bottom rack of the oven. (If you have a baking stone, place that on rack). Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Make Recipe #265466 according to instructions. Cut ball of dough to however many calzones you are making. DO NOT CUT if making one large calzone. You can cut it to a maximum of 4 calzones.
- Roll out balls of dough (one at a time) on a lightly floured surface to desired thickness. Carefully place on a peel that has been lightly dusted with flour (or with a sheet of parchment paper that can slide off onto the stone).
- Keeping a 1/2" rim, place the ingredients as follows; ricotta cheese, mozzarella, ham, and then sausage onto one half of the round dough.
- Brush egg wash over 1 half of the RIM ONLY (around the filling side). Fold dough over to form a half moon shape. Press edges firmly to seal and/or tuck underneath.
- Cut slits (3 for a large, 2 for medium, and 1 for small) in the top to allow steam to escape. Brush tops very lightly with remaining egg wash. Bake 10 to 20 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.