Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This cake is very popular in cafes in Israel. its name (ugat ketzef ve katzefet) literally translates to Meringue and Cream cake. This was my favorite cake growing up, I requested it for every single birthday. I've simplified the recipe to make it more convenient to prepare at home. please note: most times instead of making the meringue from scratch, I will simply buy meringue cookies at a bakery. cooking time does not include chilling time of 24 hours.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (at room temp.)
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup self-rising flour (or add 1 teaspoon baking powder for each cup of all-purpose flour)
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 8 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- chocolate syrup
- If preparing the meringue from scratch, follow this step first.
- Preheat oven to 150, prepare a 9 inch spring form pan, by buttering and lining with parchment paper.
- in a medium bowl, beat egg whites until very stiff, gradually adding sugar.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pan and bake until very dry and crispy.
- The meringue should not brown too much at this temperature.
- This baking time will take approximately 1.
- 5 hours.
- Remove the parchment paper with the meringue from the springform pan.
- Peel the parchment paper from the bottom of the meringue disk, and chill at room temperature.
- You will use this same pan for the crust, in order to ensure the layers will match in size.
- prepare the crust by mixing all the ingredients together.
- raise oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Bake in the 9 inch pan for 10 minutes.
- cool crust completely.
- to prepare cream filling, whip the cream, sugar and coffee granules in a small bowl until stiff.
- When crust is completely cool, pour filling into the crust still in the pan.
- top of the cake with the meringue disk.
- if using store bought meringue cookies, arrange them nicely on top.
- drizzle cake with chocolate syrup.
- Refrigerate 24 hours before serving.
- This cake will be a little crumbly when slicing, but don't let that deceive you.
- it's very good.