Recipe by Mizzy
This cake is very popular in cafes in Israel. its name (ugat ketzef ve katzefet) literally translates to Meringue and Cream cake. This was my favorite cake growing up, I requested it for every single birthday. I've simplified the recipe to make it more convenient to prepare at home. please note: most times instead of making the meringue from scratch, I will simply buy meringue cookies at a bakery. cooking time does not include chilling time of 24 hours.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (at room temp.)
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup self-rising flour (or add 1 teaspoon baking powder for each cup of all-purpose flour)
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 8 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- chocolate syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- If preparing the meringue from scratch, follow this step first.
- Preheat oven to 150, prepare a 9 inch spring form pan, by buttering and lining with parchment paper.
- in a medium bowl, beat egg whites until very stiff, gradually adding sugar.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pan and bake until very dry and crispy.
- The meringue should not brown too much at this temperature.
- This baking time will take approximately 1.
- 5 hours.
- Remove the parchment paper with the meringue from the springform pan.
- Peel the parchment paper from the bottom of the meringue disk, and chill at room temperature.
- You will use this same pan for the crust, in order to ensure the layers will match in size.
- prepare the crust by mixing all the ingredients together.
- raise oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Bake in the 9 inch pan for 10 minutes.
- cool crust completely.
- to prepare cream filling, whip the cream, sugar and coffee granules in a small bowl until stiff.
- When crust is completely cool, pour filling into the crust still in the pan.
- top of the cake with the meringue disk.
- if using store bought meringue cookies, arrange them nicely on top.
- drizzle cake with chocolate syrup.
- Refrigerate 24 hours before serving.
- This cake will be a little crumbly when slicing, but don't let that deceive you.
- it's very good.