Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I'm just starting on my OAMC adventures. I LOVE LOVE LOVE broccoli casserole and would probably keel over and die if I couldn't have it anymore. Yes, that's right...die. Mom and Pop always raise some broccoli in the summer and this my favorite way of eating it (other than my soup). So, I mix up a batch of this when it's fresh and throw it in the freezer.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the Velveeta, soup, and milk until the cheese is melted. If the sauce is too thick, add more milk until it is your desired richness.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked rice, broccoli, and sauce. Stir gently to prevent breaking up the broccoli too much.
- Divide the mixture in half and place in a one-gallon freezer bag. Lay the freezer bag in the dish you would normally cook the casserole inches Freeze until solid and remove from the dish. Repeat for the second bag. Do not prepare the crumb topping until time to bake.
- To prepare immediately or prepare one and freeze one, place half in a casserole dish and top with the topping. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until crackers are golden and sides are bubbly.
- For cooking the frozen casserole: remove the frozen solid from the bag and place place in the casserole dish. Thaw on the countertop for 30 minutes or longer. Place in the casserole dish and prepare the crumb topping (the topping recipe is for one casserole). Bake at 350 degrees until hot and bubbly and crackers are golden brown, about 45-60 minutes if partially frozen, 30 minute if totally thawed.